History of St. Anne & St. Jude Catholic School
 
      The roots of Catholic education run deep into South Carolina soil. St. Anne Catholic School was founded in 1954 by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy and continues today as St. Anne & St. Jude Catholic School, honoring an extensive tradition of more than 135 years of Catholic education in Sumter, South Carolina.          
     The Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy first came to Sumter when the American Civil War forced them to move from Charleston to Sumter. In 1865, the Sisters founded St. Joseph Academy, Sumter's first educational institution. Parents were billed $2.00 per month, and students came from as far away as Georgia and North Carolina.          
     From our humble beginnings as St. Joseph's Academy, our legacy honors many saints. Our Catholic Schools of Sumter have been called St. Joseph, St. Jude, St. Anne, St. Catherine, Sumter Catholic, and St. Francis Xavier. In the spring of 2016, St. Anne Catholic School was renamed St. Anne & St. Jude Catholic School to align with the new parish name. In 2017, The Most Rev. Robert E. Guglielmone authorized the joining of St. Francis Xavier High School and St. Anne & St. Jude Catholic School. With this momentous event, K5-12th grade education is now unified under one name—St. Anne & St. Jude Catholic School.          
     St. Anne & St. Jude Catholic School continues today as a mission of St. Anne and St. Jude Catholic Church. We are grateful for the support of our local parishes, St. Anne & St. Jude and Our Lady of the Skies at Shaw AFB. We cherish the many blessings God has bestowed on our school! 
 

 

St. Anne & St. Jude
Catholic School
Lower/Middle Campus
11 S. Magnolia Street
Sumter, S.C. 29150
principal@sasjcs.com
(803) 775-3632
FAX: (803) 938-9074



Guardians
Copyright © 2019
St. Anne & St. Jude
Catholic School
Upper Campus

611 W. Oakland Ave.
Sumter, S.C. 29150
principal@sasjcs.com

(803) 972-1121
FAX: (803) 938-9074